Health Equity and Racism
National Council for Behavioral Health: Addressing Health Equity and Racial Justice
Faces and Voice of Recovery: Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Action Plan
The National Academies of Science, Engineering and Medicine: COVID-19 and Black Communities
PsychHub has compiled a doucment of Race, Racism and Mental Health Resources. This includes organizations, books and online resources.
- Social Determinants of Health
- What is Cultural Humility?
- Racism and Mental Health
- Finding a Therapist for BIPOC
Massachusetts Coalition for Suicide Prevention (MCSP): Widening the Lens: Exploring the Role of Social Justice in Suicide Prevention, A Racial Equity Toolkit
The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) has released resources that can be applied to health clinics, treatment centers and recovery spaces:
- Trauma, Racism, Chronic Stress and the Health of Black Americans
- Racial Equity Tools
- Anti-Racism Work in Recovery Spaces
- American Addiction Centers: Alcohol and Drug Abuse Among African Americans
- The 8R's of Talking About Race: How to Have Meaningful Conversations
- Scaffolded Anti-Racist Resources
- How to Manage When Things Are Not Okay (And Haven't Been for Centuries)
Pacific and Southwest Mental Health Technology Transfer Center: Black History Month Resources
The Kennedy Forum: "Take a Stand for Black Mental Health"
Thema Bryant-Davis, Tyonna Adams, Adrianna Alejandre, and Anthea A. Gray, "The Trauma Lens of Police Violence against Racisl and Ethnic Minorities"
- Published in the Journal of Social Issues, Vol. 73. No.4, 2017, pp.852-871
The Child Mind Institute has created resources about how to discuss racism and violence with children. Click the links below to access the resources:
- Racism and Violence: How to Help Kids Handle the News
- A Clinical Perspective on Talking to Kids about Racism (Video)
- Helping Children Cope with Frightening News
- How to Foster Resilience in Kids
- What to Do (and Not Do) When Kids Are Anxious
The Sentencing Project: Racial Disparities in Youth Incarceration Persist
Huffington Post's Jillian Wilson article called "One Way To Be an Ally Right Now? Support Black Mental Health"
University of Orange's free three-phase online book group, which is reading From Enforcers to Guardians: A Public Health Primer on Ending Police Violence. Click here to register.
American Academy of Pediatrics: Racial Disparity Seen in Child Abuse Reporting
Harvard Business Review: How Employee Assistance Programs Can Help Your Whole Company Address Racism at Work